The Indian Creek Nature Center sits on 320 acres within the Upper and Lower Lakes Wildlife Management Area. The Center provides public access to over five miles of walking trails, including an interpretive trail and a wheelchair accessible boardwalk.
- Observation Tower Trail (0.8-mile round-trip) -- This trail allows for a there-and-back walk of just under one mile with a lollipop loop around the observation tower at the end. The observation tower rises about 20 feet above the land and provides for expansive views over the Upper and Lower Lakes Wildlife Management Area.
- Boardwalk and Observation Deck Trail (1-mile round-trip) -- This fully handicapped accessible trail, complete with hand rails and benches for resting. The trail also functions as an interpretive trail with signs describing the environments that the boardwalk passes through. This trail begins at the main entrance parking area and is approximately one mile as a round-trip. It travels over 750 feet on boardwalk with views of a pond and an extensive beaver impoundment. An observation deck at the farthest end of the trail provides views over the marsh.
- Lowland Trail (1.1-mile loop) -- This trail begins at the end of the boardwalk and follows the perimeter of the lowland forest on the marsh boundary. In just over one mile, the Lowland Trail returns to the Boardwalk and Observation Deck Trail. Extensive views of the central region Upper and Lower Lakes WMA greet walkers all along the trails length. This is a great trail for spotting waterfowl and other wetland animals and has been designed as an interpretative trail with numbered landmarks. Interpretation brochures are available at the parking lot kiosk.
- Wildflower Loop (0.3-mile loop) -- This short loop meanders through a meadow with seasonally varying wildflower displays. It is accessed just down the Upland Trail from the East Entrance.
- Upland Trail (2.8-mile loop) -- This trail may be accessed at either the East or Main entrances. It proceeds through a mix of successional forest and meadow habitats including some nice stands of cedar. The Upland Trail intersects the Wildflower Loop and the Boardwalk and Observation Deck Trail.
Dogs are allowed on-leash only.
This trail is part of the Great 8 Challenge. Learn more!
For more information, please visit the Indian Creek Nature Center website.
Indian Creek Nature Center
1125 County Route 14
Rensselaer Falls, New York 13680
After hiking that trail, I desided to visit the other entrance. However that entrance was blocked, so I didn't hike that area. When will that entrance be opened up?
We love the place.
A great place to photograph.
My wife saw her first snakes in up close and in person and quickly went from being fearful to enjoying visiting them.
We will be back.